Quarantining and Remote Instruction Procedures
Who can Participate in Remote Learning:
Only students who have been identified as needing to be quarantined by a school nurse for contracting COVID or being a confirmed close contact are permitted to participate in the remote learning. This guideline is directed by the NJDOE not LTPS.
How will the remote students receive the instruction?
Students given permission to participate in remote learning will be able to stream into the classroom to observe the instruction during their ELA, Math, Social Studies and Science classes. (LHS will also live stream into their world language class).
- Teachers are asked to teach the in-person students as they would on any other day. Confirmed students will be able to observe the instruction for the days they are under quarantine.
- Remote students will work with another teacher after school. The after-school; support will help answer questions and clarify the instruction the students observed during the day. Teachers participating in this will receive compensation for their time.
- A confirmed student will be able to remote into his/her classes the day after they were confirmed by the school nurse. If the notification is sent after 12:00 PM, the student will remote into the class at the start of the day two days later.
- Once confirmed, the after school instructional support teacher will send the student a link to a google document where they can ask questions they have during the daily instruction. The after-school instructor will use this to support the student during the instructional support time.
How will I know if I have a quarantined student?
If a nurse confirms a student must quarantine due to contracting COVID or being a close contact, they will notify the contact person for their school. At that time, the following procedures will be implemented.
- The school contact will notify the students’ teachers and the appropriate instructional support person.
- Confirmed students will be able to remote into their class the following day after the staff has been informed. These students will also have the opportunity to work with a teacher after school to clarify questions that arise during the instructional period.
- The after school instructional support teacher will send the identified student a link to document where they can put questions they have during the daily instruction. The after-school instructor will use this to support the student after school
Can other students participate in the remote learning?
Students who miss school for any reason other than being a confirmed close contact or having to quarantine due to contracting COVID are NOT permitted to participate in the remote instruction. As dictated by the New Jersey Department of Education, only students who have to quarantine due to contracting COVID or for being a close contact are permitted to participate in remote learning.
When will the after school support take place?
- All after school support for quarantining students will take place virtually.
- Students in grades K-5 will receive after school support Monday – Thursday from 4:00 – 5:00 PM.
- Students in grades 6-12 will receive Humanities (ELA and Soc. St.) support on Monday and Wednesday and Math and Science support on Tuesday and Thursdays from 3:00 - 4:00 PM. LHS students will also have availability to World Language support on Monday and Wednesdays.
- The after school instructional support is designed to clarify information that was taught during the instructional portion of the lesson earlier in the day, not replace the instruction that takes place during the school day.
What about the other subjects?
Students will receive asynchronous lessons for all other courses not listed above. Those courses include but are not limited to Art, Music, Health and Physical Education, Technology, World Language (prior to 9th grade), Business, International Studies and Family Consumer Science.
Will the district provide technology for students that have to quarantine?
- Students who have to quarantine can sign out a Chromebook to use during their quarantine period. At the conclusion of the quarantine period, students must return their Chromebook.
- Students that need to borrow a device will be given a link to make the request through a Google Form.
- Borrowed devices will only be available for students who are in quarantine as verified by the school nurse.