Dear Fantastic Fifth Graders and Families,
Hello and welcome to fifth grade and the 2021-2022 school year! We are thrilled for you to join the Vedvyas/Smith classroom family as we welcome you back into the classroom this year.
My name is Divya Vedvyas (Ved-v-yas) and I am excited to learn and grow with you this year! I love traveling, relaxing at the beach with my favorite book, hiking in the mountains, and eating great meals with friends. I have two nephews, Neil and Nathan-you will hear about them and our adventures a lot!
My name is Mrs. Ashley Smith and this is my 8th year teaching! I graduated from The College of New Jersey with a Master's Degree in Special Education. My husband Andrew and I just celebrated our 5th anniversary. We welcomed our son Connor to the world in March 2021! We have a dog named Cappy and she is a Papillon/Chihuahua mix. I enjoy visiting the shore in my free time and one of my favorite places to go is Jenkinson’s Boardwalk! I am also a huge Disney fan!
We look forward to working together to make this the best experience and year possible. You will become stronger readers, writers, mathematicians, scientists, and historians. We hope you are just as excited as we are to see you in September!
School Supply List
Below is our classroom supply list. Please shop your home, The Dollar Store, Walmart, or Target first!
- 5 C-Line Folders, Poly, 2 Pocket, no prongs (Red, Orange, Yellow, Blue, Green)
- 1 Folder (choice)
- 1 1-inch Binder
- 4 Marble Composition Notebooks
- 1 pack low-odor expo markers
- 1 set of headphones or earbuds for classroom usage clearly marked with your name
- 1 tube travel-sized toothpaste (very important for our class building activity)
*Kindly note pencils boxes, pens, sharpie markers, or loose-leaf paper will not be needed as they will be provided for students to use throughout the year. Mechanical pencils are not permitted.*
Fifth graders and families, please join our 2020-2021 google classroom. Please review the Welcome Letter via Genesis for the code.
Below, find some fun activities to get you started prior to the start of school.
- Find 3 work spaces in your home.
- What are the most comfortable spaces throughout the day? What spaces offer flexible seating?
- What spaces offer the least amount of distractions, noise, or family members?
- What spaces offer the best natural light or lighting?
*Ms. Vedvyas-I prefer my dining room table or I work in the study room. These spaces have big windows with lots of natural light and no distractions. My family doesn't spend a lot of time in these spaces throughout the day, so I will not be distracted by them.*
*Mrs. Smith-I prefer to work in my sunroom because it provides lots of natural light.*
- Backpack-find it, dust it off, and empty it out! This will hold your work materials for the school day.
*Ms. Vedvyas and Mrs. Smith-I found my backpack from last year.*
- Music and headphones.
- What are some of your favorite artists/bands you enjoy listening to as you work throughout the day? What kind of music puts you at ease or can motivate you to work?
- Remember you are logging in to your ltps.info account, so they should be school appropriate (clean).
- Take some time to favorite the artists via youtube.
- Find a pair of headphones-put them in your backpack!
*Ms. Vedvyas-In class I always play Piano Guys or Ludovico Einaudi or Two Cellos. When I am at home tackling large projects I like to blast DMB, Mumford and Sons, or 2000’s hip hop.*
*Mrs. Smith- In class I like to play relaxing music like the sound of rain or waves at the beach. When I'm at home I like to listen to a variety of music. Bon Jovi is my favorite band and Michael Bublé is my favorite singer.*
- Water bottle.
- Find a water bottle that you like best to use throughout the school day.
*Ms. Vedvyas-I flip flop between my purple and turquoise water bottles.*
*Mrs. Smith-I have a few water bottles in different colors but my favorite is blue.*
- If you have a laptop, get comfortable with it! Make sure you are able to easily turn the device on and off, maximize/minimize the screens, open/close out of a window, and charge your device.
- Treasure. (most important!)
- Find a special something (2 or 3), anything that makes you feel awesome, extraordinary, and outstanding! This will be your reminder that *you* are amazing and can do great things when challenges come your way!
- Your treasure(s) should fit in the palm of your hand and can move with you throughout your work day.
*Ms. Vedvyas-My treasures are a rubber duck that has my undergrad college on it (Douglass), a picture of my nephews, rocks in a bottle, and a magnet. These treasures all remind me of incredibly special memories, comfort me, and inspire me to push through challenging moments.*
*Mrs. Smith- My treasures are a picture of my son (I love being a mom!), and seashells from my many trips to the beach.*
Big Thinking Questions
Fantastic Fifth Grader, please take some time to think about these questions:
- What do you LOVE learning about?
- What do you most LOOK FORWARD to this school year?
- What are three AWESOME things about yourself?
- What is one thing you’d like your teacher and class to KNOW ABOUT YOU?
- What is SOMETHING NEW you’d like to make, create, try, build, or learn about?
Students and families, with a healthy dose of patience and flexibility learning, will be an enjoyable adventure! We look forward to meeting you on Wednesday, September 8, 2021! We are happy to have you as a part of our classroom this year! We hope you are as excited as we are to start the school year this September!
Let’s have a memorable year,
Ms. Vedvyas and Mrs. Smith