Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer (P-EBT)
Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer (P-EBT) is a program to help you purchase food for your child(ren) who were eligible for free or reduced price school meals at a school that participates in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) or School Breakfast Program (SBP). Summer P-EBT extends benefits during the summer months following a school year during which there was a COVID-19 public health emergency.
To receive P-EBT benefits for summer 2023, children must be:
• Eligible for free or reduced price school meals under National School Lunch Program (NSLP) or School Breakfast Program (SBP) as a student in grades K-12: or,
• Determined newly eligible for free or reduced price school meals during the covered summer period (not including incoming Kindergarten students in the 2023-2024 school year); or,
• Attending a school that participates in the Community Eligibility Provision.
HOW DO I RECEIVE MY P-EBT BENEFITS?
• The date you will receive benefits depends on when your child(ren)’s school submits their data.
• Your school can begin submitting information as early as June and the first payments may arrive as early as the end of June 2023.
• All summer P-EBT benefits will be paid by the end of September 2023.
• If you are a SNAP recipient, benefits will be added to your Families First card. If you are not a SNAP recipient, your benefits will be issued to your most recently issued P-EBT card. If you never received P-EBT, you will receive a new card in the mail. If you need a replacement card, contact your county board of social services.
• Visit the P-EBT page on www.NJSNAP.gov for full details about summer P-EBT payments and a list of county boards of social services where you can get a replacement P-EBT card, if needed.
HOW DO I USE MY CARD?
For most recipients, benefits will be added to your Families First card or your most recently issued P-EBT card. If you never received P-EBT benefits, a reloadable P-EBT card, similar to a bank card with a PIN, will be mailed to you. If you need a replacement card, contact your county board of social services. A list of county boards can be found on www.NJSNAP.gov.
You can use your P-EBT card at any grocery or convenience store that accepts SNAP. Look for the SNAP EBT image or visit the Using You Benefits page on www.NJSNAP.gov for a list of stores. P-EBT benefits can be used to purchase food items. However, prepared foods, such as a hot rotisserie chicken or hot meals, cannot be purchased with these benefits.
To use your card in the store:
• Slide your card through the machine and choose the FOOD option.
• Enter your PIN.
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT P-EBT AND MY CARD?
• If you forgot your PIN or your card has been lost, stolen or damaged, you can change your PIN or report card issues online at www.NJFamiliesFirst.com, on the ConnectEBT app or by calling New Jersey EBT Customer Service at 1-800-997-3333.
• You can check your P-EBT balance online at www.NJFamiliesFirst.com, on the ConnectEBT app, by calling New Jersey EBT Customer Service at 1-800-997-3333, or by checking your last store receipt.
• If you are not interested in using the P-EBT benefits, please destroy your card or mail it to the address on the back of the card.
• Your P-EBT benefits are non-transferrable, which means they cannot be used by another person.
• If you need more information about P-EBT benefits, visit the P-EBT page on www.NJSNAP.gov
More information about P-EBT can be found in the P-EBT section of www.NJSNAP.gov.