CARE Kids - "Children Acting Responsibly Everyday"
The CARE Kids are made up of third graders who are interested in serving their community through service-learning projects. They are the service-learning ambassadors, "teaching" their younger schoolmates about each upcoming project. Here are the many events the CARE Kids sponsor:
- Operation Smile - Make and design over 500 patient tags to support Lawrence High School's Operation Smile Club's trip to Kenya. We also collect toothbrushes, hair clips, scrunchies, crayons, coloring books, and pencils for the children waiting for surgeries.
- Thanksgiving Food Baskets - Collect sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, canned vegetables, and turkeys for needy families in Lawrenceville.
- "Souper" Bowl Food Drive for the Trenton Area Soup Kitchen - Collected canned soup, vegetables, bar soap, and tube socks. Deliver and tour TASK facilities.
- Caring for Seniors - Make Valentines and deliver the cards in February and flowers in May to a local nursing home. Present vocal musical concerts for residents of the nursing home.
- Lawrence Township Police Dept. - Collect new and gently-used stuffed animals for the police dept. Deliver and tour their facilities.
- Autism Awareness - Introduce Autism Awareness through the book, My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete, and coordinate/count the coin donations for Autism New Jersey.
- Kidsbridge Tolerance Museum - For the past 7 years, the CARE Kids have traveled to Kidsbridge Tolerance Museum on the campus of The College of New Jersey.
100% of our third graders are CARE Kids this year!